Pages

Sunday 15 March 2015

An ode to suffragettes.

International Women's Day was last weekend, and I thought I'd use it as an excuse to treat myself to a new dress. Perhaps not the most feminist of ways to celebrate the day, but ultimately the only reason I can't afford pretty things is because of my career as a pharmacist, which I would never have been able to achieve were it not for feminism in the first place.

I was thinking about how I could wear something symbolic, so I went for an outfit in the colours of the suffragettes. 


Their livery was a nice combination of green for hope, purple for dignity, and white for purity. 

Here's my interpretation: 


Dress: Lyra by Lady Voluptuous
Cardigan: Collectif
Hair flower: no idea, I've had it for ages. 

This is the first time I've ordered anything from Collectif. Its a nicely made cardigan, though I feel a bit wary about how to wear it as it is one of those pieces that looks cool and trendy with some pieces but dowdy and old-lady like in others. I can't do it up over my bust, but it fits fine as an open cardigan. It has old fashioned pearly buttons, which are either cool or not, depending on which way you look at it. 


Having seen so many reviews and so much excitement about the Lady Voluptuous dresses, I was excited to eventually get it home after missing the delivery. Its a good heavy fabric, so it hangs really nicely. Its very forgiving, so I didn't have to don any uncomfortable shapewear or anything underneath.

I'd just have one little gripe with my Lyra. The waistband didn't quite sit in the right place. Problem is, because of the ties at the back, its hard to pop a belt on over the top. The colour is really beautiful and bold.



Another really nice touch is the sleeves. They are cleverly attached onto the dress, sort of like a false sleeve, which leaves plenty of room and ventilation, so I didn't have to worry about sweatmarks too much.


Overall rating:

Forgiving nature: 5/5
Cleavage revealing: 4.5/5
Sweaty Betty: 4/5
Toilet Ease (sober): 5/5
Toilet Ease (drunk): not tested. Expected 5/5
Risk of Chafage: depends.




No comments:

Post a Comment