Pages

Tuesday 11 August 2015

Romantic Roses

Today I have mostly been setting up Facebook and Twitter for this blog, and that meant that of course I was thinking about clothes on my way home. I had time to kill before my bus was due, so I popped into John Lewis to have a little peruse of their sale. I wasn't really intending on buying anything in particular, but I picked up some gems in Phase 8 that I'm super pleased with. 


 

First up is this little floral number. It's a size 16, so I wasn't sure it would fit, but lo and behold it does, nicely, although I reckon it would look a lot better with some shapewear underneath. It shows a good bit of cleavage, but I think I might end up wearing this for work with a little vest top underneath.I think it'll look pretty good with my black blazer.

When I saw this next one, I basically picked it up and hugged it. Then I put it down again and considered it, thinking that it might be a little on the garish side. Then I wondered what the hell I was thinking, as I love garish things, and this was the only one left and it was my size and it was meant to be. Trying it on, I knew I had made the right decision as I'm absolutely in love with it. It fits in all the right places, and shows off plenty of cleavage. The fabric is heavy and luxurious and hangs beautifully, and the ruching means it is super forgiving. That photographic rose print is to die for, and it would be so, so good for a wedding or valentine's day.

thoughtful face. kind of. 


A close up of the fabric
For the purposes of trying these dresses on, I dug these little Next lurex kitten heels out. I've only worn them once, for a wedding, and they didn't last long, as it turns out that they are really painful. They are pretty though: I love the tone of them; not quite as lurid as gold, but a little more interesting than a plain silver. 


Much as I love Phase 8, I don't think I'd ever persuade myself to buy anything full price. These dresses feel wonderful, but they're much better value for money in the sale. 

In other news, today has been mostly painful in the foot area. 

The first blister emerges
The reason is that I invested in some new shoes at the weekend. I spend most of my time in flats, yet I can never quite justify spending any money on them. I usually end up wearing super cheap ballet pumps, but they can be uncomfortable, are rubbish for walking far in, and they usually fall apart after the slightest hint of rain. I thought I'd therefore buy myself some sensible shoes, and what shoes are more sensible than Dr Martens? I'm really digging chunky  clunky shoes at the moment, so this Lynne design seemed perfect.



In my younger goth days, I had about six pairs of DMs, and I loved them all to bits. I'm hoping these shoes will also be beautifully comfortable, but of course before I get to that point I have to go through the dreaded breaking in stage. This usually involves rubbing all the skin off my heels until my feet are basically skeletal. It's going to be a long, hard slog, but it'll be worth it in the end. 

You might have noticed my curly hair in the photos above. I've been really pleased with it today: apparently the trick to fabulous curls for me is to sleep in rollers the day before I need it to look good. It's messy and chaotic, and with the addition of a little sunflower clip, it's just how I want it!



If you've a minute or two to spare, do pop over to the Facebook page and Twitter and like, share, follow, dance, say hello and anything else you'd like to do. By the way, if you know of a good app for making picture collages, do let me know. I can't seem to find one that does what I want it too.

Hxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment